Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Feelin' Fine

So it's the 5th day since my last Chemotherapy treatment and I'm feeling quite well. On Sunday and part of yesterday, I did have pretty much a "maybe its better if I just lie down" kind of a day, but nothing really bad. I've been able to continue to walk either on the treadmill or outside for at least 1/2 hour every day and I've been able to continue to eat healthy meals. The first couple mornings I switched over to Carnation Instant Breakfast, but this morning had no problem with the pancakes and bacon we had to celebrate my mother's 87th birthday.

I've learned that one key to a successful morning is slowing the process of getting up (although I'm not sure that's possible for me - an expert snooze alarm manipulator). I've found waking up and having a few crackers and something to drink and waiting for 20 - 30 minutes diminishes the chances of long-term upset stomach, which is probably something all of you who have faced morning sickness already knew - but it's news to me. Also, a friend of mine gave me some great ginger chews which have proved to be quite helpful for settling my stomach - especially after eating. I'm working hard to continue to eat right, exercise daily and get enough rest so that the incredible machine we call a human body, aided by some pretty cool science, can do its thing and ensure I have a long and healthy life.

If you have any tips or tricks for getting through chemotherapy, or even just run of the mill stomach ailments, please feel free to share those in the comments section. THANKS!

6 comments:

Monica said...

Hi Denise,

What a wonderful way to help others! Your blog is great and I enjoy the humor.
You are in my prayers every day!

Katelyn said...

This is Cindy and Katelyn,

We are glad to here that you are feeling good this week! Thanks for keeping us posted. My mom will see you tomorrow for lunch!

Hope you have many more good days,

Cindy and Katelyn

Ann said...

Glad you're feeling pretty good this week, Denise. Say Happy Birthday to Ruth from all of us in Clearwater!

Beth K said...

Hi Denise,

My mom didn't have too much nausea because they also gave her anti-nausea meds, Compazine is the name I think. When she had nausea she ate crackers but mostly taking a nap and a cold cloth on her head helped. Ironically I was pregnant with Leah at the time so we'd eat saltines together! Take care,
Beth

Stephanie Mapes said...

Hi Denise. I think you look awesome without your hair!

Myra said...

Here you are fighting--and with humor no less--and I've been in denial! I didn't want to read your blog, because I do NOT want this to be happening. (Picture ostrich, head in sand) It took a while, but I've come around and am now awed by both your character and courage.

I'm saving that bottle of Rutherford for us--whoever you decide is "us" Ann? Charlie?--to share.