Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Any Port in a Storm

Well, it looks like the drama associated with IV 's will be soon be over. At a meeting at the clinic today, it was decided that I will receive a port implant on Thursday morning to help me weather the tempest that is chemotherapy and immunotherapy treatment delivery. The port is "installed" in my chest during a brief surgical procedure under local anesthesia. My procedure is scheduled for 7:00 am and once I've recovered, I'll be able to receive my chemotherapy treatment (a change from Wednesday to Thursday for those of you following along).

I spoke to a woman who had a port during my treatment last week, and it appears to be quite easy to manage, nothing bothersome and makes everything that much easier. Since I will be having treatments for a year it sure makes a lot of sense, and will take the worry of whether or not it will be a difficult insertion or not out of the chemotherapy equation. For anyone who knows me, I have a tendency to suck it up - just ask anyone who's heard my rant about how the doctor's never give me any drugs and everyone else gets all kinds of drugs. I've finally realized that this is the one time in my life I'm probably allowed to be a little less tough and there really is no need to have IV anxiety for another year.

For more info on Ports, please see link under Breast Cancer Links.

On another note. Today was my first day out and about in the world with no hat and my new "hair". I did go out on Saturday, but it was cold and I wore a hat. Today was in the 60's and I went au naturale to the hospital, Walmart, Marshalls, the Humane Society, the Bank, TJ Max, Rite Aid and P&C, so I guess I'm ok with how it looks now - hopefully will continue that when it's all gone. It felt great - it was warm and a little breezy - I've decided I can't wait to jump in the pool and feel the water on my head. A friend of mine once said hair is highly overrated and I'm beginning to believe him. Showers are shorter, no hair to blow dry, and definitely no bad hair days. Of course, I'm saying all this while I still have a little bit of hair on my head - I may change my mind once I've lost the last of it, but for now it's rather freeing.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like the best way to go. It's similar to the catheter that Mom had in for her first 9 months of dialysis. Glad your first day in public with your new hair went well.

Sheena said...

I think that you have a really great head shape. There is no need to have all that hair cover such a great head. My husband just saw your pictures and said "she is in her 30's". I told him you were around that age!! See you soon
Sheena