Thursday, April 3, 2008

One Busy Day

Today was quite a busy day! I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 and checked in at Registration, and yes, of course, there was some confusion surrounding my procedure and my chemotherapy. The person helping me had to get assistance to figure out what to do - nothing is ever easy. Eventually they figured it out and sent me on my way and I arrived at Radiology at 7:00 on the dot. I was called quickly from the waiting room to head to pre-op where a nurse inserted an IV line, checked vital signs and went over paperwork with me. Next a Physician's Assistant came in and went over the device and described how the procedure would work. Off we went to the operating room - get this - 15 minutes early. I received sedation through my IV and then some localized injections. I felt some pressure, which I understand was the manipulation of the catheter into the vein and seemed to be awake the whole time - the PA kept popping his head under the sheet that was stretched over me to check on me, he was very entertaining. I didn't experience any pain, other than some stiffness in my throat, which went away after the Oncology nurse changed the bandage for me. It didn't really seem to take too long and I was whisked off to recovery. This photo is in the recovery room after my english muffin and ginger ale! I left Recovery for Oncology at a little after noon time.


When I arrived at Oncology, I met with Dr. Muss who after a brief discussion decided to cancel my Neulasta shot tomorrow, it turns out that I have good bone marrow to start with and for women in my age group the medicine only drops the chance of infection from 8% to 4%, so the payoff for the pain I had from the injection wasn't there. Finished with Dr. Muss off I went to the clinic for my treatment. First blood was drawn (through my new port) for my genetics testing (more on than in a later post) and the saline and nausea medication drips were attached. Because my appointment was originally scheduled for yesterday, the computer hadn't
caught up with the change and there was some issue with the Pharmacy in getting my drugs mixed. I didn't start my Taxotere until 2:30, which meant with 3 drugs, I was there until a little after 5:00. It was great to have the drugs going in through the port - it left both my hands free, which makes it much easier when you have to pull your IV pole with you to the bathroom, to eat, and just to be comfortable while receiving treatment.

While I was having treatment, in the chair across from me was a woman in her 30's with her mother. They were obviously close and enjoying each others company. It made me quite sad that my mother can no longer provide that kind of comfort for me. She doesn't really understand what is happening and she certainly wouldn't be able to come to the clinic with me to provide comfort. It's an odd feeling to have my parents with me, but not have them really engaged with what is happening to me. Most of the time I'm fine with the way things are, but there are sometimes, I'd just like to be sick and not have to explain it all over and over again.

The day surely ended on a bright note - I have such wonderful friends who have all been so supportive - when I returned home today from this long day of treatment, there was a box of from Harry & David from a friend in Massachusetts. That was a great treat to come home to!

2 comments:

Mickey said...

The more I read this blog the more aware I become of what an amazing sister I have.

John D said...

Hello Denise,

Thank you for doing this blog. It's hard for me to read this and know that this is happening to you. But it's better that I read it so you don't have to repeat it over and over again. That wouldn't be a good karma thing.

I'm amazed at how seemly calm you are about discussing your cancer in such an open and matter-of-fact way. As you well know, I would be very, very upset and angry if cancer was in my life. I'm sure my behavior and outlook would only make my cancer worse.

Truth be told, I'm very angry that this is happening to you. At times like this, I truly hope there is a Heaven and when I get there you can just bet this episode is on my agenda for the, "I demand some answers!" part of the incoming interview, screening and sorting process.

Soon after my 50th birthday climb up Mt. Washington, I entered a hospital for a procedure that no man likes to think about, never mind experience. Truth be told the procedure is pretty much nothing. I feel guilty even bringing it up to you. There is no comparision to this procedure and any part of what you're now going through. I did this strictly to get it done and over with and not have to think about it for another couple of years. After all, I had just climbed Mt. Washington and I was as healthy as a Clydesdale.

However the procedure turned up several very large non-cancerous polyps. After the procedure, I was told by my doctor that she wanted to do a "re-do" in January to make sure she got everything.
Somewhat stunned,I asked, "January of what year?"

I was told, "January of 2008."

Like in six weeks after the doctor and I were having this conversation. I was not too keen on this. I thought maybe my doctor liked my medical plan or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that in the past I've been told (by some, not all) that I have cute buns.

I told you all this (but not the buns part) and you calmly replied, "So, when you going back, Johnny?" I didn't answer you. Whatever the reasons the doctor had, I wasn't so sure they were in my best medical interests so I have delayed getting back to the doctor.

After reading your blog along with the endless "So have you scheduled the follow-up yet?" comments from both my mother and Diane, I called the doctor this week and scheduled. After all, if the doctor needs a little thrill, who am I to deprive her, right?

Thank you, my friend, for showing me that the correct thing to do if I'm ever told I have cancer isn't to grab the closest knife and utter, "Why you little bastards! I'll get you!" while I'm still in the doctor's office. It will feel good, but it won't help me long term.

From you, I've learned the rules -

1) Get checked and watch yourself

2) Don't get cancer

3) Don't screw around with cancer

4) No matter how far it is out of your comfort zone, do what they tell you to do if you have cancer.

5) Not knowing or facing the facts isn't gaining you any time, it's cancer's time.

6) If you get cancer, focus all of your energy in getting cured.

7) Get cured first and then get pissed off and fight cancer dirty afterwards.


Denise, if you've been wondering where your anger went, I've got it. No sweat. Let me know when you get to Rule #7 and need it back.

Thank you again, Denise.

Love,

John - The guy who's been told more than just a few times that he's got the complete ass or something like that.


To those who read this post -

Gents - There are no good excuses.

Ladies - Read this post to the men you love right after you examine yourself.