Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gone Today, Hair Tomorrow

I had a Herceptin treatment today at the clinic and was surprised by how odd I felt being there with my hair back. It's only been three weeks since my last visit, but my hair now could pass for a chosen hairstyle and my PA, doctor and the nurses all commented on how it has grown back. But among the other patients I felt almost like an interloper - no longer such an obvious member of the cancer survivor club. Women will no longer stop me in the street, store, airport or sandwich shop and encourge me with their stories of survival - it is now my responsibility to watch for others to encourage. Unfortunately, as I was having these thoughts my husband called me to tell me of yet another woman we know who is bravely facing the breast cancer experience. Another card to send, another woman to keep in my prayers, and another survivor to celebrate with.

Having gone through the experience, I want to tell all those women who are worried about their hair loss that it's not that big a deal, there are so many more things to think about - and be thankful for - and, after all, it will grow back. But it's like telling a young woman planning her wedding to take the money and put a down payment on a house - once you've been there, it's easy to say, but not so much if you haven't yet had the experience.

2 comments:

LW said...

Hello,

I have wondered how you are doing. I came across your blog when I was doing a search of DCIS after I was diagnosed in October. I like the title of your blog and I hope that you are doing well.

Sincerely,
LW
http://www.busteddcis.blogspot.com

David Haas said...

Hello,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David